The monument to the Twelfth Illinois Cavalry is west of Gettysburg on Reynolds Avenue between the Railroad Cut and Chambersburg Road. (39.837082° N, 77.248556° W; see map) The monument was dedicated in 1891 by the Gov. Fifer and 300 members of the Illinois State Association from Washington, DC representing the people of the State of Illinois.
The regiment had parts of five companies at Gettysburg and was combined with the 3rd Indiana Cavalry under the command of Colonel George H. Chapman. The combined regiments totaled 588 men and lost 4 killed, 10 wounded and 6 missing.