illinoisstatesoceity.typepad.com > 1854-1894 Illinois State Association History

Old State Capitol

Old State Capitol

When the Illinois State Society of Washington, DC was first formed in 1854, this was the new State Capitol Building in Springfield that still stands restored in the 21st Century. On July 4, 1837, the first brick was laid for Illinois' fifth capitol. In 1853, the capitol was completed for a total sum of $260,000, almost twenty times the cost of any such previous structure. The building was designed in the Greek Revival style from stone quarried six miles from the site. For many years, it was the largest and most extravagant capitol of the western frontier of the United States. The fifth capitol is associated with Abraham Lincoln as it was here that he argued cases before the Illinois Supreme Court, here that he served with the State Legislature, here that he first debated Stephen Douglas, here where he delivered his famous "House Divided" speech, and here where he lay in state after his assassination on May 4, 1865.

Previous | Main | Next