This neoclassical edifice was built in 1906 to honor Illinois soldiers who served under General Ulysses S. Grant during the Civil War Siege of Vicksburg from May 18 to July 4, 1863
Union Armies under the command of Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant converged on Vicksburg, investing the city and entrapping a Confederate army under Lt. Gen. John Pemberton. On July 4, Vicksburg surrendered after prolonged siege operations. This was the culmination of one of the most brilliant military campaigns of the war. With the loss of Pemberton’s army and this vital stronghold on the Mississippi River, the Confederacy was effectively split in half. Grant's successes in the West boosted his reputation and led ultimately to his appointment as General-in-Chief of all the Union armies.