In February 1917, the club that had been called Illinois State Association in 1867 and both Republican and Democratic variations on that name followed the lead of most other state clubs in Illinois to be re-named as the bi-partisan Illinois State Society of Washington, DC.
Several Republican officers such as O.J. Ricketts and W.H. Richardson, both former Association presidents, were jointed by three prominent figures of the Wilson Administration including Louis F. Post of Chicago and Carl Vrooman of Bloomington. Post was an assistant Secretary of Labor and Vrooman was Assistant Secretary of Agriculture. Miss Julia Lathrop of the Children's Labor Bureau had served President Taft as well as President Wilson. From 1917 to 2006, the Illinois State Society of Washington, DC has always had a bi-partisan board.