Julia C. Lathrop was an associate of Jane Addams, the founder of Hull House at Polk and Halsted. Julia moved to Hull-House in 1890, where she investigated and advocated reform of social and governmental agencies. Julia helped to establish the world’s first juvenile court in Chicago.
Miss Julia C. Lathrop was Director of the Children’s Bureau of the Department of Labor under both Presidents Taft and Wilson. She was elected a Vice President of the Illinois State Society of Washington, DC in 1917.